Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Canberra






Here are my pictures of my host family in Canberra. They've been lovely! I'm so glad I decided to stay with a host family; I think I'd be very lonely living alone. My host family has gone out of their way to make me feel at home though. They've introduced me to Australian barbecue (lamb, not pork,) Vegemite (more on that later,) and all sorts of distinctly Australian experiences. Recently we watched The Castle, a classic Australian movie, or so I'm told. I highly recommend it - it was both sweet and hilarious. They've also been making sure I understand all the Aussie slang- and there's a lot of it! For example, if someone says they "stuffed it," they mean that they messed up. One of Dafydd's favorite expression is "Struth!" Which is roughly analogous to "Crikey!" :)

The picture are: Dafydd, my host dad, doing work; Toni, my host mom, sewing on Girl Scout patches and holding Gina the dog, Sian (prounounced Sean) on the computer, and Caitlin playing XBox - Ryan and Nick would feel right at home!

I apologize for the funny format - I'm still figuring out how to use the blog.

No comments: