Saturday, May 22, 2010

Out and About

A few weeks ago I went to see one of Quanzhou's landmarks: the Luoyang Bridge. It's a stone bridge that's almost 1,000 years old now. A couple of my friends and I took a bus out there. I couldn't believe it - it was only a few stops past the university! I didn't realize it was so close.



It was a beautiful, sunny day, so we enjoyed walking down the bridge with lots of other people with same idea. As usually happens when foreigners visit a tourist attraction, we became a bit of a tourist attraction ourselves, and had our picture taken many times.





In the picture below, you can see a carving of Buddha from the side of the bridge, and there is a place where it looks like a stone or something similar should be. The story goes that there was once a giant gem there, but it was stolen by the Japanese when they invaded (I'm afraid I don't know details, like which invasion.) Given their history, the Japan makes a popular scapegoat in China, so take the story with a grain of salt.




The bridge spans the Luoyang River, which seems to be subject to drastic changes in water level. The picture below was taken when we first arrived.



And if you look closely, you can see the same boats in the next picture, but this time resting on land. ?! It was quite a drop in water level! We had no idea if this was a normal occurrence or not.



And last, I'd like to share a picture from the town garbage dump. Quite a throne, no?




Completely unrelated and much closer to home (and by that I mean IN my home,) today I discovered that my apartment leaks. Last night we had the worst storm I've seen since coming here. Pouring rain, thunder, and powerful wind. I guess it was powerful enough to expose some leaks in my windows. I woke up during the night to the sound of water dripping. I got up to see a puddle forming on my floor, so I grabbed a bowl, put it beneath the leak in my window, and fell back asleep.

The next morning I awoke to the same puddle and a bowl full of water. Then I walked into my study/extra room, to discover that apparently there was a leak in that room's window too. The entire floor was covered in water. Yikes! I set up fans outside the room blowing in; I don't think I can safely set up a fan in the room yet.

No comments: